Total Pageviews

Sunday, May 5, 2013

i think im turning green

Hey guys! Soo after a rough work weekend with a nasty sinus infection we kind of just laid low.  I was soo excited because we were doing the CROSSFIT TOTAL today.  Being totally unaware of what to expect I got a lil nervous.  What I understood was ...it was the total weight lifted in a 1 rep max of a back squat, shoulder(strict) press, and a deadlift.  After I walked in I found my buds some of which I only get to see at events so that was awesome, they started telling me about how I'm going to beast this thing today.  I started getting more nervous.  Its weird... its like I put pressure on myself because I don't want to fail.  Either way I didn't know that other people knew I could lift.  Today was my first time ever doing some one rep max's soo I was soo curious to see how much I could get up.  I'm still not sure how I feel about telling people outside the gym how much I can lift.  I mean its cool and badass in the box but outside my friends, co-workers, clients, and family look at me as if I'm a monster.  Sometimes, like today, I really surprise myself with the weight I can lift and I do think I'm weird because I'm strong for no reason.  Ive been a hairstylist since 18 years old.  Softball is a sport Ive played my whole life but once I turned 18 I've played slow pitch and that's not really a workout... its just fun.  So I have no answer as to why I can lift but I love what its doing for me.  I do however really love lifting, its turning into something I truly enjoy.

So I started with my back squat.  In my head I didn't want to warm up alot I just wanted to start heavy and finish strong.  I LOVE using the 45lb weights... theres just something badass about them.  We did a few reps with lower weights and then I wanted to go from 215 to 250 since that was the number in my head.  250lb is a goal for me since I love squating and its not far from where I am at a few reps.  I was thrilled when I was able to go down and up with good form!  I even decided to go for 260lb but i got stuck at the bottom of the squat hahah lol.  The group I was lifting with was awesome... in fact everyone there today was awesome!  The gals I shared the bar with were pushing me way further than I would've pushed myself.

After that was the shoulder press... no dip, no bounce, standing, straight, and tight from the shoulder.  I wanted to just get a PR since I've been stuck at 85lbs for months.  After a few warmups, I tried one at 90lbs and couldn't even get it halfway.... WTF!!! This also happened to my girl B, so she suggested we rest as long as we could and try again.  We rest... I get up to the bar and get it half way and one arm locked out.... i held the bar half way with one arm bent for about 10 seconds while I refused to fail.  Somehow I got it the rest of the way up!!!  My whole body shook as I pushed and have no idea how it happened but everyone was screaming for me.... it was crazy!! I think was the most excited about this lift because its my weakness and finally got a PR.  That was all I wanted.

On to one of my favorites... DEADLIFTS!!!  I was thrilled to see where I was going to end up.  A 300lb lift was something I was going for but didn't think I could do.  I was really going for 290lbs... considering my heaviest deadlift was 275lbs.  One of the strong women I really admire was lifting with us and I know she has done way more than me so I told her I was going to try and keep up with her.  We did 265lbs and it felt light.  Then 285lbs felt good too soo I kept going.  Jamie got 305 on the bar and I did that one pretty good too.  Her and I decided to go one more time and when I went to try it my buds said "no... your going for 315" which scared the shit out of me.  I got it up though... and didn't struggle too much.  HOLY SHIT I JUST PICKED UP 315LBS!!!  This is why I think somethings weird about me,  I shouldve turned red and shakey, but I didn't at all.


4/5/13 WOD
CROSSFIT TOTAL
Back Squat- 250lbs
shoulder press- 90lbs
deadlift- 315lbs
total 655lbs

I never thought weightlifting is something that would interest me... at all.  In fact I was probably just like everyone else who makes faces at me when I tell them what I lifted.  I get it... its not the most feminine thing but now that I do it I understand why its soo great for the body.  My shoulders, back, legs and butt are getting sculpted, I have a waist again, I'm losing inches, and my old clothes are starting to fall of me.... and its only been 7 months that Ive been training.  Crossfit is not all weightlifting, but we do it to learn good form for the low weight high rep conditioning WODs.  Weightlifting makes us stronger and faster for everything else we do.  It was really cool today to see what my "total" was.  I think this is a worldwide thing so if I go to Australia and meet someone who crossfits I can ask them what they're total is and I know how strong they are.  This is another reason why I love this sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment